Want to write for kids or YA but don’t know where to start?
Agent Kevin O’Connor takes you through various kids’ book formats from boardbooks to YA, the formal parameters for each format, and how they address kids’ developmental needs. Get insight into how a bookstore is organized to know exactly how & where your book will be and how it will stack up against the competition.
In this session, you will learn:
- What are the six specific bases to tag to write a successful book for kids or YA?
- What is the difference in a chapter book and a middle grade novel?
- How many unique words should you have in your middle grade novel and how many of them should be three syllables?
- What is the “gestalt” of each age level through YA?
- Can a middle grade novel have a YA protagonist?
- What concerns do kids and teens have at each age level and how do successful books address those fears?
- What is the inside story of how kids/YA books are marketed and sold?
- How do the three meta-data fields on Amazon impact your YA sales?
- What is the secret power of kids/YA books?
- And much more!
Kevin has experience in virtually every aspect of kids’ media. He started his career at Sesame Workshop: first in television and then in the toy group working on Sing & Snore Ernie, Rock & Roll Elmo and more award-winning toys. For six years he was in charge of business development and brands at KIDZ BOP earning 5 GOLD records. He cut his teeth in publishing while overseeing publisher relations for NOOK Kids — Barnes & Noble’s foray into digital picture books. Kevin left B&N to become Vice President of Consumer Brands & Products at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, overseeing development and marketing for Carmen Sandiego, Oregon Trail, and their new venture Go Math! Academy. Since 2014, he’s been a full-time literary agent focusing on kids’ middlegrade novels and adult nonfiction on science & technology.
His website, http://oconnor.nyc, has a list of his projects and his submissions email.
You can purchase access to this one hour and thirty minute video workshop for $25. You can watch the video as many times as you like. Get access now by clicking here: